Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homemade Vegetable Stock

I love homemade soup. It's comforting, nourishing, and pretty hard to screw up. I love that I can make it with just about anything I have on hand, and I love that it's an excuse to use up vegetables that might otherwise go to waste.

Which is why I have absolutely no idea why I haven't made my own broth until now! It makes no sense to use fresh vegetables, organic whole wheat pasta ..... and canned stock?!

So this weekend, I finally decided to make my own. It is so easy, almost embarrassingly easy. I used garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and parsley, but you can use almost anything you have on hand - skins, peels and all.


Put it all in a big pot with a gallon of water and plenty of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer for a couple of hours. Drain, adjust seasonings, and voila! Healthy and delicious vegetable broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment