Saturday, February 13, 2010

Confusion

The other day I went to Barnes and Noble to browse with my sister. Right inside the front door, front and center, was one of those huge circular displays, covered with dozens of diet books. It made sense, given that it was only shortly after New Years, and the store had to market to all the people who'd resolved that 2010 would be the year that they'd finally lose weight and get healthy.

As I read through the titles, I was struck - and honestly, kind of disgusted - by two things. One, they were all filled with flash, gimmicks, and complicated rules (eat this, not that; diets for divas, for women, for men; Hollywood secrets; diets to train your brain, shrink your waistline and flatten your stomach. This went on and on and on...) And two, they all contradicted each other: Eat more protein. Eat less protein. High carbs. Low carbs. Full plates. Tiny portions. Calories! Points! Fiber! Fat!

And the grocery store is even worse. We've got Weight Watchers, South Beach, and Atkins. There's protein shakes and energy bars. Vitamin water and soda with antioxidants. 100 Calorie Snack Packs. Fat free, sugar free, carb-free.

Is it really any wonder that so many people are overweight?!

I started this blog because I wanted to cut through all of that confusing hype and just talk about good health and good food. By good health I just mean bodies and minds that are balanced and strong. By good food I mean food. Real food. Food that grows in the ground, not something that comes in a box or a can or a cellophane wrapper in the cracker aisle.

So my promise to you, and myself, is that this blog will NOT advocate, endorse, or mention

Fad diets
Calorie restriction
Point counting
"Diet" foods
Diet supplements
Packaged, processed, non-foods

I will share healthy tips, healthy information, and vegetarian recipes that have not only been tested and approved by me, but also by my former meat and potatoes husband. Real food, and real information.

6 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm going to start a garden this spring in my own attempt to be healthier, among other things. I'll be checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you call calorie restriction, I call knowing EXACTLY what I'm putting into my body. Our bodies do need the right number of calories to function properly.

    I do agree about the mixed messages and gimmicks. The whole industry pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesa, yes we do need the right number of calories to function properly... but I really believe that when you're 1) eating good, whole foods, and 2) honestly paying attention to hunger and feelings of satisfaction and fullness, and 3) leading a healthy, active lifestyle, that your body naturally knows what it needs and doesn't need.

    I know exactly what I'm putting in my body, no calorie counting necessary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And also on the subject of calories... I think too many people focus more on reducing their calories when they need to be focusing on changing what they're eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Jen. People want "sugar free, fat free" but they still want to be able to eat JUNK. And that's what it is, JUNK.

    ReplyDelete