Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Comfort Foods

My husband grew up in a traditional Italian family. Every family get together was centered around food. Whether it was a wedding, a funeral, a Superbowl party, or a Tuesday... there was food, and lots of it. Food was for socializing, celebrating, and mourning. In times of stress, he'd turn to heavy, rich food that usually involved something that had a face at one point.

I grew up with a freezer full of icecream. Not just a little refrigerator freezer, but one of those big, chest freezers. Ice cream sandwiches, bars, and cones. I remember these wonderfully huge ice cream bars that had vanilla centers, a big, soft layer of caramel, and were wrapped in a thick, crunchy layer of chocolate. They had nuts on top - something I never liked with my sweets - and I'd painstakingly break them off one by one, careful not to lose even a morsel of chocolate. Yes, in times of stress, I'd turn to sugar, in all its glorious forms.

Together we made quite the pair.

The problem with both of these kinds of comfort foods is that while they may feel or taste good the moment (and good taste is a relative thing) they're not doing anything remotely kind to your body, and they make it oh so easy to over-indulge. I've heard them called "wood-chipper" foods. You eat one bite, then two, and before you know it you've followed them with twenty more. You end up feeling worse than when you started: tired, sluggish, bloated, achy, and just all-over YUCK.

It has been a process, to be sure, but my comfort foods have changed. Now nothing makes me happier than when I'm chopping up a huge pile of vegetables for a homemade soup or salad. Everything from the feel of the heavy knife to the fresh smell to the crisp cutting sounds are all part of the experience, even before I eat. I love homemade vegetable soups; I love brown rice piled with chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil and salt and pepper; I love whole wheat pasta tossed with tons of tender crisp vegetables or white beans, tomatoes and fresh herbs; I love dark leafy salads with homemade dressing, chick peas, and avocados. I love that I actually feel better instead of worse after I eat any of the above.

Don't misunderstand, I still love my sweets! And sometimes, well sometimes those social situations are made even better by their presence. We had friends visiting from out of state last year, and I remember with such fondness chatting, laughing, and making and eating chocolate chip cookies at 2 A.M. Surely the company was more important than the cookies, but somehow I just don't think it would have been the same if we'd whipped up a big salad instead. These days I'm experimenting with making healthier versions of old favorites. Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet, has some insanely delicious dessert recipes, and I'm working my way through, trying them all one by one. I've already made the brownies twice, we sucked down the chocolate chip crispy bars, and I'm just waiting for a good excuse to make the peanut butter cups again. I love trying new recipes, whether it's from a book, a friend, or the internet, and I like knowing that I can make healthier versions of nearly everything.

Yes, sweets still definitely have their place, but I'm infinitely glad to also have an arsenal of good, whole "comfort foods" that are healing for both body and soul. If you don't have such a repetoire to choose from, just start with ONE! It's not overwhelming that way, and will almost instantly start you on a path to better health. You can start with a fruit or veggie you already love, and experiment with new ways to make it. When you're feeling more adventurous, you can try something you think you don't love. If you're someone who says, "I don't like spinach." Or brussel sprouts. Or asparagus. Or whatever it is... Find a different recipe! There's a world of difference between a vegetable cooked to mush and placed in a steaming heap on a plate, and one that's been lightly roasted with garlic and olive oil, bright and green and crisp. You can try new vegetables in sandwiches, salads, and soups. They're good with pasta, and awesome on pizza. I have a friend who makes smoothies with lots of fresh and frozen fruit and a handful of spinach. To hear her tell it, she's the last person you'd expect to be drinking such a thing, but tried them, experimented to find what worked best, and was hooked. It's all about finding what you love.

I was going to post a recipe for an easy, homemade salad dressing while I was on the subject, but dinner calls. It can wait for tomorrow.

Yay, FOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! And the 2 am cookies, what a treat. Must've been fun (wink wink). Ice cream used to be my comfort food, but not I could definitely take it or leave it. It's a nice treat but it will sit in my freezer for months! Tonight we had a steaming hot bowl of chicken noodle soup (that one I showed you) and it was so incredibly comforting. And, like you said, I feel better now after eating it rather than after eating a HUGE bowl of ice cream feeling bloated and crappy.

    ReplyDelete