Sunday, February 14, 2010

Vegan Pancakes


I love breakfast. All kinds of breakfast. I've never met a breakfast food that I didn't like. The kids and I usually have oatmeal during the week, but Sunday morning in our house has always been spelled p-a-n-c-a-k-e. This is my current favorite , tweaked by yours truly until I got it exactly the way I like it. If you are someone who wants to try animal-free cooking, but thinks that you need eggs or milk for good taste or texture, this recipe is the perfect place to start. These pancakes are easy, fluffy and delicious. You can make them with either all-purpose or whole wheat flour, but you need to increase the liquid a bit when using whole wheat, so the batter doesn't get too thick.

1 cup flour
1 T sugar*
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup soy, rice, or almond milk (experiment to find your favorites!)
2 T vegetable oil
splash of vanilla

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then mix together until thoroughly combined. Cook on hot griddle until golden, and eat with maple syrup :)

*Regular white sugar, because it's so refined and depleted (along with a host of other problems) isn't my first choice for a sweetener, though I'd choose it over an artificial sweetener such as aspartame every time! Agave nectar, which you can find in most grocery stores, is my favorite natural sweetener. It's mild, smooth, works well anywhere you'd use sugar, and doesn't give you the sugar "hangover". Brown rice syrup is another sweetener to experiment with, as is pure maple syrup. You could also leave the sweetener out altogether, especially if you use a sweetened & flavored milk.*

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment